“I’ve worked in content since before it was content, when audiences were in cinemas and digital was only for watches”.
Peter Houston has worked in publishing for over 25 years, most recently with Advanstar Communications as Group Content Director, focusing on content creation and management processes and publishing technology implementation. He has worked with magazines in markets from life sciences to technical electronics, from gaming and theme parks to construction.
Peter first crossed the print-digital divide back in 1993, working on a CD-ROM series and first-generation websites with Global Sources in Hong Kong.
At Advanstar his work centered on content strategy, resource management, staff motivation and skills development. During his five-year tenure he worked with senior management to facilitate the print-digital transition.
- Merged the Life Science group’s European and US content teams
- Built out the group’s email newsletter offerings
- Launched a series of digital only magazines
- Expanded the group’s commercial webcast program
- Launched a subscription-based e-learning website
- Developed robust social media presence
- Introduced a group video resource
- Launched the division’s first iPad publication
Peter founded the Flipping Pages blog in 2009 to report and comment on the digital disruption in the magazine market. He recently formed Flipping Pages Media Ltd to deliver training and consultancy that will help content producers embrace emerging digital platforms while protecting established products and services.
He writes regularly for InPublishing magazine, is a judge for the Digital Magazine Awards and speaks regularly at conferences, including the Publishing & Media Expo, The Specialist Media Show and CrossMedia.